Wednesday 3 June 2020

Beaching with an Ostomy


If it's hot then I feel like it's time to hit the beach.  Or at least a lake and find someplace that has some sand.  I personally love being out in the sun and enjoying the awesome waves that are brought by the ocean or even a lake.  So what if you have an ostomy?  Does that mean that you shouldnt be around the beach, sand, and sun?  I would say absolutely no.  You are totally able to be out in the sun, sand, and fun with an ostomy and in my personal opinion should be. Unless your healthcare provider tells you something different.  So are there some really important things that you should take care of your ostomy on the beach.

Personally I like to make sure that I have extra ostomy supplies that are kept in a water proof container or bag.  It doesn't have to look gross either. I am a fan of keeping all my gear in high fashion.  So don’t worry about bringing about a bag of unmentionables. That is just a silly idea and go out and get yourself a nice waterproof set up. I like osprey packs or getting some Yeti gear.  I have to admit those Yeti bags are amazingly durable and waterproof so I am a big fan of that brand.  Granted they are a we bit expensive but no one has ever guessed that ostomy supplies were being held in the a yeti bag before.  So to me that was absolutely worth it. 


Now getting in the water is all about timing.  Most of us know our daily routine and understand what will happen when it needs to happen.  I think we all know what I am getting at.  So if you know your personal schedule then it makes being in the water without a full size bag much better. I prefer to rock a stoma cap when I am on the beach and it fits me perfectly.  

You can also get some bags with a 1oz reservoir or so just to give yourself a little leeway. Either way you go there are lots of options and also lots of swim trunks and suites that have the ability to put a bag in a pocket in them.  This can be the right solution for some people and I highly recommend using whatever fits your needs and style the best.  As always check with our healthcare provider and get the best advice you can before you hit the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment